Monday, February 15, 2010

Family Day

Hey there,

It's a stat holiday, Family Day, today, and I made vats of food for our freezer for my family (that's my wife and I).  I did a big shop at No Frill's yesterday and since then have made batches of homemade: spaghetti, turkey vegetable soup, chili, and grilled salmon and spinach pasta salad.  It's like I'm nesting for Family Day.  It's been very pleasant and low key with the olympics on in the background.  I did have to take a break from cooking when the pairs figure skating came on.  I get so tense, it's like watching a thriller movie.  Sometimes I can't look.  Sometimes I gasp and hold my breath.   I become vaguely superstitious about watching like I am responsible for keeping them aloft.  It's murder on the guts.

So, the new thing on my horizon is that I'm thinking about going out to the olympics for a long weekend.  It doesn't conflict with my rules about not buying anything new.  In fact, I'm encouraged to try new experiences.  BUT no buying souvenirs.  Bummer.  I'm going to double check to get the okay from work before I do book this spontaneous trip.  It occurred to me last night and seems to be taking hold of my fancy.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Happy Family Day,

PS: my wife really liked her homemade Valentine's tokens.

#1. was a collage I did using multimedia with a gallbladder theme (sort of a Valentine's in-joke between us)
#2. was a 'Wordle', which is a word cloud made from a piece of prose.  I entered our wedding vows and pushed 'create' and was able to fiddle with colour and direction of the words.  I printed out 3 favourites and had them laminated.

"Wordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery to share with your friends. "

check it out at:
www.wordle.net

xo
Tara

2 comments:

Cindy said...

A weekend at the Olympics? Sounds like an experience to me!! Can you still get event tickets? That is amazing!

OK - question time. What if Dawn buys stuff like sheets or towels etc..stuff that you BOTH use...how does that work?

I'm two weeks in and holding, although I did buy a toothbrush today, but that doesn't count.

If you are up for some vintage shopping one day, say the word. I'll make the trip!

ps - love your pillows!

No New is Good News said...

thanks Cindy!
Dawn is allowed to buy stuff, but I can't solicit it, and I feel like if it's for both of us, I'd probably actively discourage her. Having said that, I am allowed to receive gifts, so I think if I really feel like I need something I can't get for myself my b-day might be a time I would consider asking for it. But, I don't think I'll ask for anything unless I feel like it's a 'need'.
As for vintage shopping, let's say Mid march? is that too late?