Saturday, February 6, 2010

Saturday Morning

Clearing clutter, getting more sleep, and tackling a nagging task.  These are some of the secrets to happiness and to being more creative and productive.  

(For more details on who has been inspiring me this week you can check out Brooks Palmer's book, blog, and website at www.brooks-palmer.blogspot.com, or The Happiness Project at www.happiness-project.com/happiness)

I actually went to bed when my wife did last night at 10:30pm.  On a Friday.  Unreal.  Normally if she goes to bed early I turn into a teenager and watch TV until 3am or so.  It's the only way I can get my hands on the remote.  But I can really relate to a passage in the Happiness Project, where the author talks about being too tired to go to bed, so she stays up extra late.  Like her, I've decided to try getting ready for bed before bedtime, so when a tiredness wave hits, I can just do it.  It does take a tremendous amount of energy to face my waiting toothbrush and night guard, not to mention finding the just right pajamas for the season once I've overshot my sensible being awake time.

So, needless to say, I feel great this morning!  I got enough sleep and am energetic and bubbly.  Now, I'm on to the next part, the 'clearing clutter' and 'tackling a nagging task'.  I'm going into work on a Saturday to clear my desk and drawers so I can think straight.  Lately, I've been starting to feel like I'm trying to do my job from a battle-station inside the home of one of the guest stars on the TV show Hoarders.  I've been rushing around and trying to keep up with the day to day deadlines as my desk becomes a growing landfill of paper piles to the power of infinity.  I'm wearing comfy clothes, bringing snacks and music, and my sister for moral support.  I'm not leaving until I can see what colour my desk is. 

Have a great weekend!
Tara

3 comments:

Brooks_Palmer said...

HI Tara,

That's great that you're taking care of your desk. I helped two people do that this week. We went through one piece of paper at a time. It was the doing it that gave them the energy to take a look at the next piece of paper and then the next piece. It's amazing how shiny and beautiful the top of a desk can be!

Brooks

Tena Laing said...

Two of my clutter heros: Tara and Brooks Palmer! I cleared about 7 of 10 layers off my own desk this week. You are going to have to reciprocate and come to work with me to cheer me on as I clear mine.

No New is Good News said...

Thanks for your comments Brooks and Tena. FYI: My desk is a blonde. And thanks for the encouragement. I spent 3 hours just doing the basics, but I'm going to bring some real muscle to the task next weekend! I just kept reminding myself DO NOT turn on the computer. That was very helpful.