Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 6 of No Spend Week

I'm reporting live from my sister's place where I dropped by to pick up the knitting I forgot here on the weekend.  And to treat her fridge and cupboards like a store I can shop in without money.  I got a couple of things I've been craving and am sipping on one of her beers.  I think going without spending is a great way to boost your social connections - by enjoying their hospitality.  I'll need to reciprocate in times of spending so people don't start to avoid my calls.

A bit of a lowlight this week came when we got our tax results from the accountant.  Instead of the $2000+ return I was expecting, it turns out I owe about $750.  I can't lie.  I was seriously bummed.  But I think it's growth that I was able to laugh at myself instead of flying into a frenzy of rage or self pity, so that's something.  And since I've got that big expense coming due, I'm extra glad I decided not to spend this week.  I am sure I saved myself one to two hundred by not going out to restaurants, going away lunches, or for extra groceries. 

So we are still oh so slowly weaving our way towards financial freedom.  The definition of which for me is: 'working because I feel like it, not because I have to'.  It's a ways off yet.  Short term version of financial freedom is surviving with one job by September 17, 2011. 

xo Tara

1 comment:

Tena Laing said...

You didn't update this post with all the bounty you came away with in the end. It was quite a profitable night for you -esp during no spend week!