Sunday, March 21, 2010

Gift Giving

We had our nephew's 13th and my mother in law's 60th birthdays this weekend.  It was a struggle to know how to do this gift giving thing without buying anything new.

I feel like we did a pretty good job, but not perfect.  My wife made the cards.  She has a knack for doing this with just-right National Geographic photos.  For our nephew, we burned him some funny videos, and my wife is wokring on making him a video of clips from all the video footage taken of him from birth until now.  A long, long, labour of love.  We also threw a few bucks in his card.

For my wife's mother, it was harder.  I couldn't buy her cute things, the flowers looked crappy where I went, so I got her a gift certificate.  I felt weird about just giving her cash.  So I didn't buy things, but she likely will buy things with it.  hmmm.  What do you guys think?

I will go console myself by checking my free lottary ticket number...

xo Tara

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Well it's just my two cents but I think you can only do so much. And as my husband reminds me, I can give this "no new" thing a try, but I can't impose on it on others. So, I think the GC is OK. You aren't buying stuff with it. She might give it away to charity for all you know!
I broke the rules for Calvin today. The boy needed pants for his short, 2 year old little legs. Used pants that fit and aren't disgusting are hard to find, so I caved and bought him some new ones (and socks, but that falls into the "boy bits" category as far as I am concerned). Happy to report I am still holding out though! Found this super cool circa 1980ish dress at the Village and it has given me a "fix" for a bit. Can't wait for our vintage shopping trip!!!
Keep up the good fight. You are my inspiration. xoxo

No New is Good News said...

Hey Cindy, you're the best!
I'm looking into Sun. the 25th of April as a vintage shopping date. I'll call a few stores to make sure they are open and you can let me know if that date works for you. That is just after my 'good payday' where there is more than $30 left after all the bills come out :)