Monday, June 14, 2010

A Hot Day for Knitting

I'm waiting at my part time job to see if anyone will show up for knitting at 6pm.  Sometimes I get a bunch of people, sometimes no one.  It can be hard to get psyched up for it when part of you is feeling lazy and antsy with my own life to-do's.  I try just being where I'm at, and being fully present, and all that jazz, but being human, that is harder to pull off on some days than others.  Today, with my mind racing off on tangents, and the damp, warm air, it is tougher than the average June day to wax enthusiastic about knitting in unairconditioned splendour.

I am looking forward to tucking into the novel chosen by this job's book club though (just picked up from the library via my coworker).  It is a classic called Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison.  That is easier to imagine experiencing flow with than the today's knitting.

Before I check out, I achieved a milestone today.  I did not gain any weight on my most recent trip to Newfoundland.  This has never happened in my lifetime.  I recall one memorable summer when I was 8 years old and came home at the end of the summer having gained 8 pounds.  That was a lot for a little girl and the photos show it.  I feel like the master of my domain having pulled off a week there and staying the same weight. It is hard for two reasons: sloth and gluttony.  In Newfoundland, I mainly hang out with grandparents in living rooms (not all that great of a calorie burning activity), and I tend to eat loaves of homemade white bread and foods fried in pork fat backs or boiled in salt beef with barely a vegetable.  This trip was different.  I was measured.  I practiced some control.  It was almost as hard as not smoking was in the early days.  But, strangely satisfying. 

xo Tara

No comments: