Monday, August 30, 2010

Value Village Mother Lode

I actually did it.  I got up at 7 a.m. today, threw on some slim fitting shorts and a t-shirt, lined my granny cart with a giant see through garbage bag and raced to Value Village for their 50% off sale.  I have been meaning to do one of these all year, and finally managed by going first thing in the morning instead of at the end of the day.

I only had a small window of time so I wouldn't be late for work, and I also wanted to spend less than $80.  I succeeded in that I only spent $59.33 - but I was about 15 minutes late for work.  Shhhhh, don't tell.

I brazenly tried on the wardrobe I had pulled in front of one of the mirrors at the end of a row of dresses.  Skimpy outfit was strategic, as I avoided change room lineups.  Guess what I got for my $59.33?  12 tops and 6 skirts!  All with work-worthy credentials.  I'm feeling quite pleased with myself.  What I didn't have time to do is grab a shower since I stayed longer at Value Village than planned.  I barely had time to tie off the bag and hurl it into our vestibule to await deep cleansing. 

If you're in Toronto today, you'll know to steer clear of me, as it's a heat alert and besides spending the a.m. neck deep in second hand clothing and not getting a shower, I've just spend about 2 hours commuting all over hell's half acre on several airless, crowded streetcars or waiting for said streetcars in spots with zero inches of shade and it's something like 40 degrees out.  Ugh. 

This dreadful weather keeps me in a constant state of inelegance.  (I love to use this Jane Austen quote when I've worked up a lather in a heat wave.)

p.s.: Thanks Renee for letting me know about Mark Boyle's moneyless lifestyle.  You can YouTube him.  (He's gone 18 months without using money.)

xo Tara

No comments: