Friday, October 8, 2010

Blow Out at the Grocery Store

Hi there,

I ended up shopping my brains out at the grocery store today.  I spent $169.  Let me explain.  I've decided that something has to give from time to time and my goals of: being a cheapskate, eating relatively healthy, not spending tons of time cooking, and not coming to blows with my beloved re: her never cooking were getting in each other's way.

I also have been thinking about my mother's book, "The Joy of Not Working" and it's advice not to spend too much time on chores such as cooking and cleaning.  In other words, simplifying things.  So, I got a lot of frozen foods that are 'healthy' i.e.: Blue Menu, and very straightforward to prepare, as well as salad and delux/delish sandwich stuff.  I loves a good sandwich.  So, between my wife and I, we should be able to keep our wits about us, pack lunches, and make suppers with vegetables and protein in short order.  Wish me luck.  I'll report back.

I still haven't bought anything new, but I am thinking about my list of needed & wanted items for January 2011.  I have decided that I am going to work on creating that list and have a 'shopping amnesty' week or two in January to get necessary items, then go back to nothing new for the rest of the year.  I may throw in another rule or disclaimer or two.  To be determined - I am still mulling over my personal fine print.

Did I mention we cancelled cable?  Roger's has been showing us it's ice cold back of hand, and we are trying to squeeze in all the HBO and on-demand possible until the cutoff date of Oct. 26th.  We will save a lot of dough, but will need to figure out how to get our Dexter and Glee fixes. Apparently you can watch on the website a day later for Glee.

I've got my Stitch & Bitch coming up on Friday next, (but I will endeavour to leave out bitching, since I'm trying hard not to complain. Still had to switch that 'complaint free world.org' bracelet a few times today, but at least I've been catching myself solidly in the act).

Also, as recommended by 'Joy of Not Working', I have had more active leisure: today I did Terry Fox Run with my sister's school, had a lunch date with a friend, and tonight am going to see an indie film with my wife.  Also, I booked a trip to London, Ontario to see two semi-long-lost friends that I can't wait to catch up with.  Cindy is not so long lost, but it's been ages.  Sarah T is someone I haven't seen since I was in my mid-to-late 20's.  I've  switched demographics at least thrice since then.

xo Tara

No comments: