Thursday, November 11, 2010

No Spend Week Challenge

Guys, I need some other people in the universe to try this challenge with me.  It creates a sense of community, camaraderie, and also energy about making it to the finish line.

So, I'll be laying down the gauntlet right about now:

No Spend Week runs from Wed. Nov. 24th - thru until midnight on Tues. Nov. 30th.  Another benefit is that it will include Buy Nothing Day, Nov. 26th, traditionally the biggest spending day in North America.

The rules are that for the duration of No Spend Week you do not spend ANY money.  The only exceptions are: automatic bill payment that comes out of your account on a certain date, or a genuine health crisis.  If you actually need to buy crutches that week, we are not going to count it against you.

That's right, this week involves that dread concept:  Planning in Advance.  If you plan in advance, you can make sure that you have all the things you Need to survive and even thrive during No Spend Week.

This will help with one of the big benefits we get from participating in such a wildly unpopular challenge.  That is, getting a sense of how much we take spending on our whims and wants for granted.  Not only will you learn about your own cravings (we notice them much more when we don't succumb to them in milliseconds-much like postponing a cigarette), you will learn some self sufficiency.  You will definitely save money.  You may reach out to others.  You may do things you have been putting off or not gotten around to (i.e.: catch up with family or neighbours, clean the house, cook a massive batch of nail soup from the far recesses of your cupboards, read a whole book, etc.).  You will discover the power of not needing to be a consumer.

Just in time for Buy Nothing Day, you can cheerfully stick it to the man by NOT giving in to the relentless onslaught of advertisements that try to make you dissatisfied with who and what you are.  You may even achieve enlightenment, nirvana, and ... Hmmm, I can't think of another lofty, somewhat unlikely, but still kind of groovy goal.  But you know what I mean.

If you want to participate, let me know and I will post a summary of who all's in, and if you are blogging about it, a link to your blog so people can check out your progress.

You have nothing to lose except your status as a consumer.  For more motivation to get off the consumption treadmill see: The Story of Stuff video; Tom Hodgkinson's book 'How to Be Free'; or your online bank statement!

So, lemme know if you want in.  The more the merrier.

To read a little about my last No Spend Week experiment back in March check this out...and this and this and this.  Basically a series of my posts between March 24 and April 2nd or so.  It was worthwhile enough to do again.

xo Tara

P.S.: in Art Everyday news:  I am going to watch female comedy students my wife teaches perform their 'class show' of stand-up tonight.  Rah Rah, Comedy Girl :)  I will be doing some writing of my own before the show begins.  I still have to put some sweat equity into that blasted joke about the guy in the droopy drawers.

7 comments:

Tena Laing said...

I'm in! I guess I should check my calendar before committing, but that might psyche me out. So, let's just say I'm in. Need to shore up before December!

stella said...

I'm in!

No New is Good News said...

Yay! I'm not alone :) Thanks for stepping up Tena and Stella. And welcome to my new people, thanks for visiting this blog. I really appreciate it.

jo said...

OK, I can do this too, I don't have a blog though. I had a look at my spending spreadsheet and the last week when I bought NOTHING was the first week of August. I checked my calendar (prompted by Tena's comment!) and I *think* the garden guy will skip that week but if he does mow my lawn during the challenge, I'll need an exception to pay him on the same day.

No New is Good News said...

thanks Jo!

RollerScrapper said...

I'm in, I'm already trying to buy nothing this month until I move, including food, since I don't want to have to move a frozen corned beef! I figure fresh food is fine, but no more canned goods and cake mix until december!

No New is Good News said...

This is great! Thanks for joining us Rollerscrapper & cool blog :)
So far there are 5 of us!