Friday, November 5, 2010

Nov. 4th Art AND my 200th post!

Wow, guys.  This is my 200th post.  That's got a sweet bit of substantiality to it, don't you think?  Anyway, I'm high five-ing myself as I write this, just so you know.

This has been an interesting day on many levels.  I worked hard, and as part of second job ended up attended an event for the Holocaust Education Week hosted at St. James' Cathedral.  It was called my Grandmother's Musical Testimony, and was a combination of video testimony and songs (sung and played by incredible musicians) depicting her experience surviving the holocaust.  So moving and emotional and informative.  It is my first time attending, and I was very struck by the young man who is a doctor who wrote this musical tribute during his university and residency.

I decided for my Art today to do 2 things.  One was cook.  For me, it is more 'artful' to cook using a recipe, because I try something new and get excited.  So, I tried another recipe from Budget Bytes.  My wife came home and sung it's praises so much it was almost comical.  And it was a kind of art.  But I also wanted to do something simple, more straight up artsy, and not too time consuming.  I did a 'focused free write' using as a prompt a sentence chosen at random from a page chosen at random from the novel I am currently enjoying.  Thanks to Zoe Whittall for writing 'Holding Still For as Long as Possible'.  I am loving it.  I ended up landing on this sentence on page 103:
"I love you too," I said back to her, rotating my glass and watching the syrup swirl and wave.
I haven't actually gotten that far in the novel yet, which maybe good for my own creative writing.  What I can tell you about her writing is this:  READ IT.

xo Tara

No comments: