Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Shopping Second-Hand When I Don't Even 'Have' To

We set out today on our Mother-Daughters shopping spree not so full of vim and vigor.  I had spent the night relentlessly awake.  Literally I got less than an hour's sleep due to a misunderstanding about some 'herbal tea' my sister had given mom for Christmas.  It turns out the delicious chocolate-scented tea I drank a full pot of around midnight, was indeed quite caffeinated.  I spent my hours in bed with thoughts at full gallop.  My little sister also had a less than thorough night's sleep at her dad's due to their dog being needy, vulnerable, and noisy following an unwanted bath.

Nonetheless, we prevailed and hit the shops.  I have good news to report.  I spent $5 on an ergonomic peeler for our kitchen at Home Sense.  And, I actually bought my 'new' winter coat at Value Village for $34.99!  I was very pleased to find a coat that looked as nice on me as the ones at the Mall did.  It is a grey wool coat that comes to the knee.  It fits me well, and even my 27-year-old fashionista sister approved.

I managed to survive a full hour of browsing with them at Winner's without buying anything, and when mother I and went into the Jones New York outlet, she suggested I try on a cute winter dress on sale for $19.99.  I liked it, but didn't want to spend anymore until I got back to Toronto, so she bought it for me as an early birthday gift!

I'm feeling quite good about being so dang sensible.  And lucky.  Tonight is my final night in Ottawa, so we are dining out at a local Mexican restaurant.

xo
Tara

2 comments:

christy said...

I wish I could have that level of self-control. I'm very interested in all that is saving money. Hope you don't mind if I follow your blog!

No New is Good News said...

Hey! thanks so much, I would be delighted :)

I can't believe the month is half over. I haven't finished tackling my list of January shopping, so I need to get a move on. cheers
Tara