Monday, February 14, 2011

My Unmaterial Valentine

Not to be mistaken with immaterial.  This year, since my wife had to work from 8pm-10pm on Valentine's Day (Otherwise known as Black Monday - supposedly coined by an old roommate of mine), and I worked until 8pm, we had our celebration yesterday.

Did we go out for a romantic, candlelit dinner and shower each other with expensive trinkets?  I'm guessing you already know the answer to this one.  Instead, we lived out a long held fantasy to eat Chippy's while watching British mini-series at home.  Chippy's, in case you are not in the know, is Toronto's best fish and chips place.  It was voted best the last few years by both of Toronto's hip weeklies.  They offer you your choice of several types of fish, and the fries are home cut nirvana.  They are slightly overcooked to a gorgeous brown and each serving contains way too many fries for health or comfort.  It has been about 2 years since we got Chippy's.  It's not that close to home, and it's not that much fun to eat it hovering over their counter on one of their few stools.  But yesterday, we made a delicious exception to the rule.  I ordered and raced for the subway as soon as it was ready, carefully keeping the top of the paper bag open to keep the steam from making it soggy.  It took 23 interminable minutes to get home, but finally I arrived and we grabbed our portions and hit the computer + newly arranged dining zone for the cued up British cop show my wife had found us.  We enjoyed the show and our eater's remorse thoroughly all afternoon.

We also took some time to appreciate each other and I'm even treating my wife to a hairdo as an adjunct to Valentine's Chippy's.  No new stuff, but a new hairdo will make her feel spiffy and loved.

Today, on actual Valentine's day, my wife sent me off by tattooing me with a red marker. I've got heart. Now, I'm home earlier than her, so I intend to use my solo Valen-time to watch shows she's already seen as I munch on dark chocolate and sip a locovore whisky beverage.  We'll regroup for some mutual appreciation society when she gets back.

Take home message: You don't need to buy stuff to feel the love on Black Monday.

xo Tara

2 comments:

Tena Laing said...

nice!

christy said...

That sounds like an excellent way to spend Valentines!